- Raptors begin their southern migration. Visit Hawk Mountain, PA., a WBU Pathways to Nature site - you may see 'kettles' of 1,000 Broad-winged Hawks.
- Turtle eggs hatch; hatchlings head for the nearest water.
- Monarch Butterfly migration peaks mid-month.
- Bats are busy feeding, building fat for hibernation and migration.
- Blackbird (grackles, cowbirds and redwings) flocks can number in the thousands.
- Fall migration peaks for warblers and others.
- Bucks are polishing their antlers; look for buck rubs.
- Peak of Blue-winged Teal migration.
- Most hummingbirds depart by the end of month.
- Robins are in large flocks, feeding on crab apples.
- First juncos and White-throated Sparrows can appear by the end of this month.
- Ripe hickory nuts, walnuts and other “mast” may distract squirrels from your feeders.
- Goldenrod and Asters are in bloom.